 Off-Topic / Debate / 19136
19135  |  19137
Subject:
I discovered he was a plagiarist [Re: Freedom from information]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:35:08 GMT

Moore wins Book Of The Year
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2795349.stm

A bit of a worry really.

I agree.  How sad. Instead of choosing a book *worthy* of the award, let's
choose a book that pushes our personal agenda.

I don’t think one is supposed to look at the text as a bible; it is more of a
starting point for further reading. I expect most of those who voted read it
because it told them what they wanted to hear; not to understand more about
themselves or the world around them – that was my “worry”.

I suppose I just feel a little uncomfortable reading an award-winning book. ;)
It is probably the best book I read last year. I think it's worthy of an award;
just not that one. Close second to that book would have been Amborose's "D-Day"
or  "Pegasus Bridge" - but it was only after I read them that I discovered he
was a plagiarist... so who knows who wrote them! More here:

More 'copying concerns' for Ambrose
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/1846582.stm

"D-Day":
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/068480137X/qid=1046335853/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-8712968-5727215

"Pegasus Bridge"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671671561/qid=1046335943/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8712968-5727215?v=glance&s=books

Right now, I'm reading Jon Ronson's "Them: Adventures with Extremists" - which
is very good indeed. It's a light-hearted look at how conspiracy theorists
intercat with the world, and [more importantly] how it interacts with them.
Have a look:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743227077/qid=1046336005/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8712968-5727215?v=glance&s=books

Scott A