 Off-Topic / Debate / 18716
Re: Freedom from information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:09:45 GMT

I've just completed reading MM's now dated "Stupid White Men". If half of
what he has to say about "president" Bush & co is true, the US media should be
ashamed of themselves [based on UK standards]. I love how he congratulates the
BBC for bringing the “vote rigging” in Florida to the public’s attention.

  I'm a big fan of Moore!  I note with great amusement that "Stupid White
Men" was already a bestseller on your island before it was even release
there--thanks, Amazon!
  It's a chilling read, but I'm afraid it suffers from Moore's habit of
sparse documentation, hasty conclusions, and occasionally speculative
research.  Of course, Conservative pundits have used those same tactics for
decades, but when Moore is taking Conservatives to task, I think it would
benefit him to be more stringent in his techniques.

  Have you seen "Bowling for Columbine?"

That said, it’s easy to castigate the media, perhaps it’s the public who’re
really to blame?

  A good point, worth pondering.  Sadly, there's very little unbiased media
access available in the US, other than the Internet which lacks the
seductive convenience of TV newschannels with their constant state of "NEWS
ALERT."

     Dave!