 Off-Topic / Debate / 18717
Re: Freedom from information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:26:52 GMT

I've just completed reading MM's now dated "Stupid White Men". If half of
what he has to say about "president" Bush & co is true, the US media should be
ashamed of themselves [based on UK standards]. I love how he congratulates the
BBC for bringing the “vote rigging” in Florida to the public’s attention.

I'm a big fan of Moore!  I note with great amusement that "Stupid White
Men" was already a bestseller on your island before it was even release
there--thanks, Amazon!
It's a chilling read, but I'm afraid it suffers from Moore's habit of
sparse documentation, hasty conclusions, and occasionally speculative
research.

I share that opinion... especially as I read it without knowing there was an
acknowledgments section at the back of the book. His arguments would have been
more convincing if he’d put his references in the text.

Of course, Conservative pundits have used those same tactics for
decades, but when Moore is taking Conservatives to task, I think it would
benefit him to be more stringent in his techniques.

Have you seen "Bowling for Columbine?"

It only got limited release here, I expect I'll see it when it comes out on
video. I must admit, my interest in seeing the film was rekindled after I read
this section from SWM:

==+==
What sense does it make to have a gun in the house? If it's for hunting, then
it's simple: keep your rifle or shotgun unloaded and locked up in the attic
until hunting season. If you're thinking of buying a handgun for protection, on
the other hand, let me give you a few statistics. A member of your family is
twenty-two times more likely to die from gunfire if you have a gun in your
house than if you don't.

The idea that having a gun is the only way to ensure "home protection" is a
myth. Fewer than 1 out of 4 violent crimes is committed while the victim is at
home. Among all the instances when guns are fired during a break-in while the
owner is at home, in only 2 percent are guns used to shoot the intruder. The
other 98 percent of the time, residents accidentally shoot a loved one or
themselves-or the burglars take the gun and kill them with it.

Nonetheless, we have almost a quarter-billion guns in our homes. The vast
majority of guns in America are purchased and owned-that is, introduced into
society-by white people. Each year about 500,000 guns are stolen, mostly from
these same white people in the suburbs. And the vast majority of those guns end
up in the inner city, sold cheaply or traded for legal or illegal goods and
services.
==+==

That said, it’s easy to castigate the media, perhaps it’s the public who’re
really to blame?

A good point, worth pondering.  Sadly, there's very little unbiased media
access available in the US, other than the Internet which lacks the
seductive convenience of TV newschannels with their constant state of "NEWS
ALERT."

I’m sure you’ll get the BBC if you try ;)

Scott A

    Dave!