 Off-Topic / Debate / 19126
Re: Freedom from information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:34:52 GMT

With due respect, John, what book would you call "worthy" of the award?

Well, let's back up a moment.  I am suspicious of anything such as a "book of
the year" award, *especially* if it is open to a public vote.  What the public
likes is often quite silly and rarely serious.  I would hope that a winner of
such an award would be a more thoughtful and meaningful work.  But having said
all of that, I think such an award itself is rather silly, unless the criteria
for the winner were objective (sales, for example).

Have you read either of Moore's books, or have you only read what other
conservatives have said about them?

I have seen some of his work and read some of his work.  Life is short, and
spending much time on him is time I will never get back...

Here is my basic criticism of MM.  His appeal is based on emotion, and short on
reason and fact (as even you begrudgingly admit).  Even from the title "Stupid
White Men" alone-- I mean, what if I decided to write a book entitled "Stupid
Black Men"?  I would be labeled a racist and bigot from the git-go.  There is
no difference in kind from *his* title, but his work is "book of the year".
(Reminds me of another literary giant's work entilted "Rush Limbaugh is a Big
Fat Idiot" by Al Franken).  The duplicity is irrational, the hatred is ugly,
and the whole thing disgusts me.

The tired polemic of class warfare and race baiting offers nothing new, but
merely rouses emotions that obfuscate truth and reason-- 2 casualties all too
often a part of his work and the Left in general.

The irony is that MM is a white millionaire, and the bottom line is that I have
had enough of Leftists telling me how bad, stupid, racist, greedy, imperialist,
etc I am.  Let him wallow in his own guilt and self-hatred without emotionally
dragging everyone else in with him.

JOHN