 Off-Topic / Debate / 19118
Re: Freedom from information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:34:24 GMT

Moore wins Book Of The Year
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2795349.stm

A bit of a worry really.

I agree.  How sad. Instead of choosing a book *worthy* of the award, let's
choose a book that pushes our personal agenda.

Merit really never entered into it.

  With due respect, John, what book would you call "worthy" of the award?
Have you read either of Moore's books, or have you only read what other
conservatives have said about them?  I've previously noted Moore's really
unfortunate tendencies to exaggerate and to omit citations, but overall
"Stupid White Men" is quite good.  At the very least it touches a nerve that
conservatives desperately didn't want touched.  To wit, within 24 hours of
release on Amazon, dozens of scathing reviews appeared, all of them
condemning Moore for being Clinton's patsy.  Of course, anyone who read the
book or who knows anything about Moore knows that he hates Clinton!  So it's
evident that there was a push (NOT a conspiracy, but a simultaneity of
effort) to malign his book before it was even distributed, simply because it
discussed issues that some people didn't want to be discussed.  Of course,
the book went through dozens of sold-out printings, so the effort seems not
to have succeeded.
  As a contrast, I have read Limbaugh's "See, I Told You So" and "The Way
Thing's Ought To Be," so I don't mind criticizing them as dishonest spin.  I
haven't yet tried to stomach Coulter's books, simply because I find her
writing style and overall manner so objectionable, but I'll certainly read
her work before condemning its content.

     Dave!