 Off-Topic / Debate / 18714
Re: Freedom from information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:19:13 GMT

I haven't griped about Bush in this forum for close to several weeks.  So
here goes:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/01/03/MN120712.DTL

I sense Copresident Rove's hand in this somehow.  Aside from the
ever-astonishing willingness of the press to swallow whole any spin coming
out of the uber-secret Bush administration, I'm disgusted that the famous
liberal media are ignoring this issue.  Even if we overlook the eerie
similarity between the personnel of the current administration as compared
with the personnel the last time a Bush decided to invade Iraq as a partial
smokescreen to obscure a failing economy, I can't understand why no one is
covering any of this!  I mean, Clinton deposited some DNA on a dress and it
was in every news outlet for months straight!

You are getting upset over a misnomer.  Correctly speaking (which is to say,
politically incorrectly) you should be using the term The Conservative Media.

Another thing that's irritating me lately is this kind of exchange, common
among television shows featuring conservative commentators:

Questioner:  "What is Bush doing to improve the economy?"
Commentator: "The economy is cyclical, and the president has no control over
    it. Besides, it started slipping during the Clinton administration.  And
    let's not forget that the boom of the 90's resulted from Reagan's
    policies."

Obviously, that's a paraphrase, but I've heard very similar commentary on
CNN, FoxNews, ABC, MSNBC, and NBC.  The pundits bend over backwards to
divorce Bush from any economic accountability while simultaneously
condemning Clinton for his role in the current economy and deifying Reagan
in turn for his role!

The Conservative Media.  Just repeat it like a mantra.

Amazing, to be sure, but at least now we won't have to be bothered with such
pesky details as how bad unemployment has gotten.  And who'd like to bet
that once the unemployment rate goes down, Bush will reinstate the reporting
so that his administration can score it as a victory?  I'd even guess that
they'll claim that their policy of secrecy was partially responsible for
reducing unemployment.

You realize that means the reporting will not return while Bush is in
office?  :-)

-->Bruce<--