 Off-Topic / Debate / 19139
Re: Freedom from information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:39:11 GMT

I find that I can form opinions by
using Conservatives as a sort of sounding board better than I can Liberals.
Though I find discussions with you and -->Bruce<-- intellectually stimulating,
you two, at least for me, are exceptions rather than the rule.

See, I think this paragraph very neatly spotlights the problem with the one
dimensional labeling system in use (because it's simple?)

left-right ... liberal-conservative

To be fair you did not explicitly label Bruce and Dave! (1) But the
inference that most any reader would draw is that you have.

I would reject that label. Bruce is not "liberal", per se, and neither is
Dave! (1) Their positions are much more complex than that. As are,
presumably, yours.

Yes, labels are restrictive and simplistic and I wouldn't necessarily hold
anyone to a category.  My analysis was chiefly based upon my observation that I
am almost always in philosophical disagreement with these 2 guys on many
issues, and I am coming from a right and a conservative viewpoint.  I could
have easily listed you as well based on our religious differences, but in fact
I find myself in agreement with many of your libertarian views.

Then again, the word "liberal" does mean *something*, doesn't it?  If one's
views are predominantly liberal, can one not be called a Liberal? (realizing
that probably *nobody* is a straight party-line thinker in any group)

JOHN