 Off-Topic / Debate / 18993
Re: The nature of property (was: Idiots, Part Deux)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:27:32 GMT

My basic premise is that space in the universe can't be considered a limited
good in a system that assures that people (intelligences?) have an
innate right to exist.

Is it right to exist, or right to exist and be supported, or just right to
try to exist and to be free of constructive interference?

Not a right to support (at least in any but the vaguest of senses) just a right
to a place.  In what I understand of libertopia, it would be theoretically
possible for one person to buy up all the land and not allow anyone else to be
there.  Then what?  It is my assertion that if people have a right to exist,
they must have a right to exist _somewhere_.  That leads to land (or any kind
of space) not being a typical good, at the very least.  I think I think that
land should be a commons, tragedy or not.

This means that we (in the USA) have either misunderstood the role of real
property by treating it as a good or we have been (accidentally) hypocritical
by claiming the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" as I
understand that phrase.

That phrase to me does not imply an unfettered right to exist. Rather it
implies the right to try to exist free of interference but with it the
responsibility to engage in productive activity to secure the resources to
do so.

Sure, I agree.  But still, the right to exist somewhere...not just in theory if
you can find a place that will have you.

Chris