 Off-Topic / Debate / 19083
Re: The nature of property (was: Idiots, Part Deux)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:59:46 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

Darn, wish I'd seen this note before posting a second ago.

Then again, in Libertopia, one expects that when one *buys* land, one buys
it *from* someone. Hence, if you were dumb enough to sell the space you
physically occupy to someone else, leaving you with nothing, tough beans to
you. At least, such would be a capitalist view, I would think.

That's how I see it too.  But that is wicked, not good and just.

Hmm, another thought...

If "rights" are a legal construct, where does "good and just" come from.
Clearly we seem to feel there is some absolute measure of goodness and
justness. Without such, you can't judge anyone else's actions. We
probably have to explore this before we can define rights.

Frank