 Off-Topic / Debate / 18917
Re: Idiots, Part Deux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:14:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

<snip>

Now, about frivolous lawsuits. They are certainly a problem. However,
the solution is to make better property rights evaluations rather than
try and limit lawsuits. Lawsuits are one of the fundamental protections
of our property rights. There should be three fundamental results of
filing a lawsuit (with shades between):

1. The plaintiff wins, and is compensated for the loss and the expense
of filing the lawsuit.
2. The plaintiff loses, however, the lawsuit was judged to be necessary
(because the conflicting property rights were not obvious), the expense
of the lawsuit is shared between the plaintiff and the defendant.
3. The plaintiff loses and the lawsuit is judged unnecessary and the
plaintiff is liable for the defendant's costs of the lawsuit.

Now if there was an addendum to all laws that says "You will get slapped
hard if we find that your lawsuit is frivilous", then I'm completely in
support of said measure.  However, who deems the "frivilousity" value of
cases?  Do we need another judicial branch that will come up with a
consensus on these cases--instead of appealing to a higher court if you
don't win, the defendant can appeal to thins new Upper Frivilous Court and
say it was an unwarranted case, and if he wins, the plaintiff gets hit with
a big fine.

Hmmm... I think we should implement that as soon as possible.

In any result, anyone could be assessed additional penalties for wasting
the peoples time (the court, the plaintiffs, or the defendants). A
frivolous lawsuit would be one example. A lawsuit where Bill sues Dick
because Dick refused to pay for the Ming vase he broke while visiting
Bill because he hates Ming vases should result in a pendalty to Dick. A
lawsuit that arises out of a very poorly worded contract should result
in one or both parties being assesed a penalty (depending on how much
responsibility each had for the contract - but I'm willing to hold both
people responsible in all cases - if one wouldn't be responsible, I
don't think you have a valid contract because someone is being coerced).

(1) And since I assert that all rights are property rights, I assert
that emotional attachment to a wife and kids is in fact a property
right.

Frank

Family is property?  Or am i misunderstanding

Dave K