 Off-Topic / Debate / 18911
18910  |  18912
Subject:
Idiots, Part Deux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:37:37 GMT

Now right off the bat, my family loves animals--I'm anti-fur and a whole
bunch of other things, and we always had a dog in the house when I was
growing up--loved having a dog around, and we always treated our animals
humanely.

That said...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/02/10/pets.property.ap/index.html

Now first thing:

Leaving some or all your inheritance to a family pet--crazy to be sure, but
hey, we cannot legislate stupidity out of existance.  First off, what
happens when the pet passes away--who then gets your multi-million dollar
estate.

If you want your pet to be taken care of after you pass on, then find some
frined willing to take care of said pet and set aside funds for that
support--but that's just me.

So I'm not really caring about your will and whom you leave your
money/estate to.

But now opening up the 'lets sue somebody' mentality to sue for 'loss of
companionship' due to death at the vet...

Now negligence aside, for I know that happens, this whole idea reeks of 'sue
sue sue!'

I was watching Judge Judy the other day and a woman was suing her former
friends because she was going to move, asked her friends to take care of her
cat, and a year later came back for the cat.  Her friends, over the year of
taking care of the cat and such, say they didn't want to give up the cat.

So we have a lawsuit.  Judy asked the woman how much the cat was worth--"Oh,
I love that cat and it's worth much to me."

Then why sue for 200 dollars?  As well, as Judy pointed out, why wait a year
to get the cat back?

I'm all for humane treatment of animals--testing on animals is just cruel.
I have grown attached to the dogs we've had thru the years and I was sad
when they passed away.  But sue?  Sue the vet 'cause my dog Sheba died of
old age?  (and that'll be a lawsuit that will happen)  Death is part of
life.  Learn to deal with and move on.

Anyway, I'm noticing that more and more things are grating on my nerves--I'm
becoming 'crotchety old man' (all of 35ish).  I have to stop watching CNN
and reading newspapers ;)

Dave K