 Off-Topic / Debate / 18991
Re: The nature of property (was: Idiots, Part Deux)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 23:40:32 GMT

One that I'm more likely to get
twisted up on is the existence of _any_ goods since they all come
from the land.

Is it possible to move to an uninhabited planet and start all over? This
planet has tangled property rights, but what about some other one?

My basic premise is that space in the universe can't be considered a limited
good in a system that assures that people (intelligences?) have an
innate right to exist.

Is it right to exist, or right to exist and be supported, or just right to
try to exist and to be free of constructive interference?

Also, why is space in the universe a limited good? The universe is infinite,
as far as we can tell, or practically so. What is actually limited is the
space in the universe that's easy to get to.

This means that we (in the USA) have either misunderstood the role of real
property by treating it as a good or we have been (accidentally) hypocritical
by claiming the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" as I
understand that phrase.

That phrase to me does not imply an unfettered right to exist. Rather it
implies the right to try to exist free of interference but with it the
responsibility to engage in productive activity to secure the resources to
do so.