 Off-Topic / Debate / 19032
Re: The nature of property (was: Idiots, Part Deux)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:15:14 GMT

I think that even with the rules of real estate essentially intact, if we
called it and understood it as stewardship rather than ownership it would
change the way we think about land-resources.  For the better.  But I think
that several positive changes to those land use rules would either be possible
or natural if we did understand land to be a public good.

The first of these is that no man would _have_ to rent living space from
another.  There would be normal upkeep expenses (in time and cash) to keep it
habitable, but landlording would be a small industry focused on those who
wanted to move around and/or work on short-term projects/contracts.  Right now
landlording, I believe to be a necessary evil that tends to keep the poor poor.
(Now it's funny that I'm in negotiation to buy two multi-unit buildings as I
write this, but I have to get along in the system that we have.)

The main thrust of my discussion so far has been to suggest that such a plan
would maintain the "right to exist" which is arguably not a current American
right.  That would be a benefit of stewardship over ownership.

I think it would be possible with or without changing ownership to stewardship
to refine the land-use laws so that they are simpler and more consistent.  But
placing people in the position of stewardship give The People a much freer
hand, at least in a clean way, of protecting the land from inappropriate use.
When it is claimed that a property is owned, the "owner" tends to feel entitled
to a more broad array of rights.

I agree that people have generally held some kind of territorial inclinations,
if not the understanding of ownership that we have.  But that doesn't mean all
people at all times.  And it also doesn't mean that it has to be that way.  Is
it fair to examine history and conclude that the way it has been is the way it
must be?

Chris