 Off-Topic / Debate / 18930
Re: Idiots, Part Deux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:24:14 GMT

Richie Dulin wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Richie Dulin wrote:

So if my wife wanted to end our marriage, I should be able to sue her for
loss of my relationship 'property'?

I would say yes...Of course there's also the consideration of
the conditions under which the relationship "property" is given. • <snip>
If the government's view of marriage
is just a contract, then the wife withdrawing the relationship can be
dealt with under contract law.

I don't think that matches with what you've said earlier: you declared the
'relationship' a property. Surely a contract of marriage would be a property
in addition to the relationship. The wife withdrawing from a relationship
would therefore be under the termination provisions of the contract AND be
additionally liable for destruction of the husband/wife relationship.

I agree with Frank on this point.  The contract isn't exactly a property (well,
the paper and ink are, and the IP that goes into it may be, but the contract in
the sense that Frank means is merely an agreement.  The agreement itself
should, and usually does, have terms of redress clearly spelled out if one side
should violate their end of the deal.

No. There may be an agreement, but Frank said clearly in
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=18918 that "The relationships
that make a family a family are property". The example of marriage may also
have a contractual element which may also have value, but according to
Frank's claim, value exists in the relationship. ("the personal connection
is every bit as valuable as any other piece of property")

The point is the end of the relationship, not the end of an agreement which
may also have existed between those in the relationship.

The other relationships which make a family also, according to Frank, have
value, yet there is no equivalent contract between, say, brother and sister,
or great-aunt and great-nephew.

Chris wasn't saying the relationship is not propery. He was saying the
contract is not a property, it is documentation of the agreement of what
property is involved in the relationship and how to handle disolving the
contract. Chris also added a crucial bit that the relationship is
jointly held property, and I would argue that as a default, assuming no
contract to the contrary, that either party may disolve a relationship
without penalty, thus destroying that joint property. However, if a
third party comes along and does something to damage the relationship
(such as murder one of the parties), then the injured parties do have a
property loss that they may seek redress for.

In these examples, one's *interest* in the value of the asset changes or you
may receive additional property, but I don't think you've demonstrated that
the value of the property changes. (ie $1,000 bond siezed by your
government, doesn't become $1,500 when they compensate you for its seizure.
The $1,000 bond is still $1,000, and the government pays a penalty of $500 -
that penalty doesn't revalue the property.)

I agree with you here.

Frank