 Off-Topic / Debate / 18913
Re: Idiots, Part Deux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:31:47 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/02/10/pets.property.ap/index.html

Neat!  Sounds like a good idea in general.  My only misgiving is that it is a
half measure.  It is still true that only animals who have a steward that wants
to push back will be remedied.  So people can still throw flaming cats of
highway bridges, as long as they're strays.

But now opening up the 'lets sue somebody' mentality to sue for 'loss of
companionship' due to death at the vet...

Now negligence aside, for I know that happens, this whole idea reeks of 'sue
sue sue!'

So you think that when a vet or a neighbor through malice or negligence kills
the dog that you got from the pound, your compensation should be the $40 that
it cost you to adopt it?  If so, I'd suggest that you are missing out on the
greater world of satisfaction that good pets can bring.  I'd rather see a small
but reasonable amount (~$1-10K?) go to the person for pain and suffering and a
larger fine go into an animal wellfare fund.

I was watching Judge Judy the other day and a woman was suing her former
friends because she was going to move, asked her friends to take care of her
cat, and a year later came back for the cat.  Her friends, over the year of
taking care of the cat and such, say they didn't want to give up the cat.

But the whole point of that show (and the others like it) is to sensationalize
courts to the lowest common denominator in society.  You can't claim that all
or most animal-related cases are just like that.

I have grown attached to the dogs we've had thru the years and I was sad
when they passed away.  But sue?  Sue the vet 'cause my dog Sheba died of
old age?

While cases like that will certainly be created, you are completely discounting
all of the legitimate things that will be helped by this.

(and that'll be a lawsuit that will happen)  Death is part of
life.  Learn to deal with and move on.

So when your neighbor shoots your dog on your front lawn, what do you do?

Chris