 Off-Topic / Debate / 18998
Re: The nature of property (was: Idiots, Part Deux)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:19:35 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

One that I'm more likely to get
twisted up on is the existence of _any_ goods since they all come
from the land.

Is it possible to move to an uninhabited planet and start all over? This
planet has tangled property rights, but what about some other one?

Hmm, interesting question. Some problems I see:

- If the other planet has biological or sentient inhabitants, we would
have to decide just what their rights are. Hopefully we would recognize
them...

- I would have a concern as to how "righteous" a settlement on another
planet would be if we don't move the entire Earth's population there.
One would have to ask if the people who left Earth were selected in a
fair way, and used a fair share of resources.

My basic premise is that space in the universe can't be considered a limited
good in a system that assures that people (intelligences?) have an
innate right to exist.

Is it right to exist, or right to exist and be supported, or just right to
try to exist and to be free of constructive interference?

I'm leaning towards the latter right now, but I want to explore this. My
question is what assures that the population doesn't exceed an amount
that can be supported.

Also, why is space in the universe a limited good? The universe is infinite,
as far as we can tell, or practically so. What is actually limited is the
space in the universe that's easy to get to.

My thought on this aspect is that the human population will quickly grow
to fill the accesible space.

Frank