 Off-Topic / Debate / 18997
Re: Vague abstract debate that puts people to sleep?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:14:14 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

Ok, point conceded. I've lost my train of thought on this bit though.
Unfortunately this debate which I feel is actually worthwhile to me is
getting burried by some other debate. It seems like everytime you raise
the "should land be property" issue, which would be new ground for
debate, some other debate starts up and burries this one under the
tiring Middle East or religion debates. This is what continually
frustrates me about .debate and makes me want to just wash my hands of
the whole thing.

Frank

The whole "everything can be called property rights" seems so leaden to me.
I won't argue it either way - it just seems like a game of semantics to me.

It may be just semantics, but I think it's hard to move forward in other
realms without having a solid foundation. I know I have changed the way
I do things, at least to some extent, as a result of exploring these
semantic games more.

The Middle East can be a tiring subject, especially considering the rather
strident way of expression that some choose, but it is a national debate at
the moment, one that may have far reaching and lethal implications.  This
thread would go over bigger, no doubt, if there were more Libertarians
present.  :-)

I agree that the Middle East subject is more current, but I'm really not
sure this forum is a good way to affect change. Of course there's value
to blowing off steam, but I'm more interested in debating longer term
things that might have more of a chance of changing something in the
future.

Frank