 Off-Topic / Debate / 18922
Re: Idiots, Part Deux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:36:15 GMT

Richie Dulin wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

The relationships that make a family a family are property. Of course
existence of the kids and wife themselves is property held by them. I
know it sounds very impersonal, but it's not. I'm arguing that the
personal connection is every bit as valuable as any other piece of
property.

So if my wife wanted to end our marriage, I should be able to sue her for
loss of my relationship 'property'?

I would say yes. To some extent this is already covered by divorce law.
I'm pretty sure I've also read about cases where someone sued their ex
for basically this reason. I'm not sure one would win very often, but
there certainly are cases which seem to be good candidates. Of course
there's also the consideration of the conditions under which the
relationship "property" is given. The ex wife taking that relationship
away is far different than a murderer taking it away (and an adulterator
taking it away is somewhere in the middle).

Of course I've also been a strong proponent for the view that the only
proper government view of marriage is that it is a contract. If religion
wants to tack it's own meaning on top, that's fine, but the religious
baggage should not affect the law. If the government's view of marriage
is just a contract, then the wife withdrawing the relationship can be
dealt with under contract law.

Frank