 Off-Topic / Debate / 18994
18993  |  18995
Subject:
What the Confederate flag stands for. (was Re: Just wh...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:00:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Wayne McCaul writes:
You know, I never understood the Confederate flag's ability to still fly in
any official capacity.

I mean, race-issue aside, isn't it the symbol of a treason nation? A
rebellion that was put down? Why wasn't it outlawed at the end of the Civil
War? (Seriously, I'm curious about that last one).

Contrary to what most school teachers teach childern, the Civil War was not
primarily about freeing slaves.  Freeing slaves was the secondary purpose
behind the Civil War.  Consider the most famous Confederate General, Robert E.
Lee.  General Lee did not own slaves, he did not believe slavery was right.  He
fought to preserve the States individual right secede from the Union as a last
resort check against the Federal Government overstepping its authority.  Of
course the Federal Government, the drunken rednecks, and the "Black Leaders"
used the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism and oppression after the war.
It was used in the State Flags as a representation of the right to secede,
despite the fact that right was denied.  Today most people see the flag as a
symbol of racism and oppression despite its orgins, much as the swastika no
longer represents the circle of life as it originally did. Personally I find it
rather amusing that so many make a big deal out of the Confederate Flag when
Louis Farrakan (of all people) thinks it should be left alone as a historical
reminder. (Go figure.)

-Mike Petrucelli