 Off-Topic / Debate / 19000
Re: What the Confederate flag stands for. (was Re: Just wh...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:45:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Wayne McCaul writes:
You know, I never understood the Confederate flag's ability to still fly in
any official capacity.

I mean, race-issue aside, isn't it the symbol of a treason nation? A
rebellion that was put down? Why wasn't it outlawed at the end of the Civil
War? (Seriously, I'm curious about that last one).

Contrary to what most school teachers teach childern, the Civil War was not
primarily about freeing slaves.

But it should be noted that the election of Lincoln was the catalyst for the
war, despite the numerous other factors that seperated north and south.  I
can't recall any school teachers that said the Civil War was about freeing
the slaves primarily, speaking fom my own experience.

Freeing slaves was the secondary purpose
behind the Civil War.  Consider the most famous Confederate General, Robert E.
Lee.  General Lee did not own slaves, he did not believe slavery was right.  He
fought to preserve the States individual right secede from the Union as a last
resort check against the Federal Government overstepping its authority. Of
course the Federal Government, the drunken rednecks, and the "Black Leaders"
used the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism and oppression after the war.

The 20th century use of the flag by racist forces is the most lasting image.
I have seen arguments that that was a perversion of the Confederate flag,
but it's one that I don't really accept since the Confederacy supported
slavery.  Yes, it was about other things, too, but that becomes selective
blindness.

It was used in the State Flags as a representation of the right to secede,
despite the fact that right was denied.  Today most people see the flag as a
symbol of racism and oppression despite its orgins, much as the swastika no
longer represents the circle of life as it originally did.

The Nazi's have it circling the opposite way, but most people miss that (I
imagine that most people don't know where it comes from anyway).

I suppose a good case could have been built for the right to secede at the
time of the war, but it would seem that claiming that today is just extended
sulking to no good end.

Personally I find it
rather amusing that so many make a big deal out of the Confederate Flag when
Louis Farrakan (of all people) thinks it should be left alone as a historical
reminder. (Go figure.)

I have to say that I find it amusing that anyone would use Farrakan's
support to justify just about anything.

I know, you threw that out there more as a joke.  Sorry for being picky.  :-)

-->Bruce<--