 Off-Topic / Debate / 19010
Re: What the Confederate flag stands for. (was Re: Just wh...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:18:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Ok this is in reply to all three posts following my original. I guess I should
have been more clear. I was explaining why people still cling to the
Confederate flag, not attempting to justify it.

  That's cool, but the bigger issue raised by your post was the claim that
slavery was not central to the Civil War.  I'd like to hear your further
thoughts along that line of discussion, particularly in light of Stephen's
comments.

Although I believe in the States right to secede and recognize that right was
lost in the Civil War, the confederate flag is not a good symbol for that
cause because in that instance the Federal Government was right.

  Additionally, Lincoln was correct to act against the secessionist states,
since allowing them to secede would have been to violate his oath to uphold
the Constitution and maintain the security of the State.

     Dave!