 Off-Topic / Debate / 19008
Re: What the Confederate flag stands for. (was Re: Just wh...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:49:13 GMT

Ok this is in reply to all three posts following my original. I guess I should
have been more clear. I was explaining why people still cling to the
Confederate flag, not attempting to justify it. The line; "Today most people
see the flag as a symbol of racism and oppression despite its orgins, much as
the swastika no longer represents the circle of life as it originally did.",
was meant to put the Confederate flag in the same league of bad symbols as the
swastika.  I was NOT meant to lower the swastika on the badness scale.

Although I believe in the States right to secede and recognize that right was
lost in the Civil War, the confederate flag is not a good symbol for that cause
because in that instance the Federal Government was right.

I have to say that I find it amusing that anyone would use Farrakan's
support to justify just about anything.

I know, you threw that out there more as a joke.  Sorry for being picky.  :-)

Yeah that was meant as a joke, however dry and tasteless it may have been. :-)

-Mike Petrucelli