 Off-Topic / Debate / 18957
Re: The beginning of the end of NATO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:52:10 GMT

<snip>

And perhaps the best part is that we still use B-52 bombers!

    Dave!

Here's my inherent cotradictory nature--I love the B52!

I had a model kit of one when I was a kid--it's a wonderful jet.

Though, to be said, one of my fav. documentaries (barring the one last week
on Nova b/w Lockheed and Boeing for the new x-plane (of course Lockheed was
going to win--it looked like a fighter jet!)) was when that guy and his crew
went up to the north to retrieve that B-29.  They were going to fly it out.
For a while they worked on it, then unfortunately, during a test, someone
knocked over a jerry can and the whole plane burned up on the icefield.

I can't remember the name of that particular documentary or the folks
involved, but I appreciated it.

Other stories from my appreciation of military planes--I think it was John
Glenn who got to fly a captured Mig--he was going up against some other
pilot in an American jet in some simulated dogfighting--Glenn came out on
top.  Upon landing, the other pilot said it was because of the better plane.
Glenn goes, "Lets go again, this time with you in the Mig and me in the
American jet fighter".  Glenn came out on top again.

Now I'll say I heard this story years ago, but I always liked it.

But that's enuf for now.

Dave K