 Off-Topic / Debate / 18943
Re: The beginning of the end of NATO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:51:13 GMT

It is notable that:

38% of the UK public feel "The United States is a threat to international
security and peace". Only 45% feel the same about Iraq.

Only 38%?  I would have guessed about twice that.

I find it amazing that a certain someone gives evidence that Iraq is a
greater threat to international security and peace than the US.  ;-)

Have I done that? Does public opinion amount to evidence of a threat? ;)

<snip>

But the claim that there is nothing Saddam can do is absolutely false
(though realistically true).  He can leave power.

A very good point!

Now why that would
satisfy Bush I'm not quite sure since it would leave the exact same power
structure with a Saddam-of-a-different-name in control.  Given that Saddam
would be willing to lose 90% (a low estimate no doubt) of the population to
retain power (and would lose no sleep over it) it ain't gonna happen.  If
this was restated so that there is nothing Saddam can do on the subject of
WoMD (weapons of...) to satisfy Bush, yes, I agree.

Given that the UK is more “pro war” than France, do those stats help explain
why France does not support your "president"?

Can we pass a law that "president" *always* has to be in quotes when
referring to Bush?

The French have bitterly resented the U.S. leadership in NATO fairly
consistently, so I must say I pretty much dismiss their opinions out of
hand.

That's a little sad.

Scott A

But to be fair, I pretty much dismiss Dubya's opinions out of hand, too.

-->Bruce<--