 Off-Topic / Debate / 18951
Re: The beginning of the end of NATO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:07:51 GMT

AAbout the 'meddling' in '14, '39, '60...

Hmmm, '60 was a US statement against 'Communism'--ulterior motive

Overrunning of Europe by the Warsaw Pact.  Of course, it may not have
happened even if the US went back into its shell, but the arm-twisting would
have been there in any case.  I suppose historians might pick a different
year or even a whole set of them.

'39--well, US wasn't 'meddling' in that one until they were dragged into it
in '41.

Roosevelt was meddling for all he was worth prior to actual combat.

Alone. And out of principles, at least until '41. One point for him :-)

And I reiterate--the cause for '39 in the first place was the
idiotic policies levied on a country where the citizens were starving and
downtrodden in the first place--a perfect incubator for someone like AH to
rise to power...

So, Wilson didn't meddle enough at the end of WWI in getting the Allies to
accept his plans for post-war Europe?  :-)

Part that, but he also had the misfortune to have a stroke just as he was
about to convince the Senate to join the SoN.

In any case, the partition of Europe in 1919-21 was done so poorly that
future conflict was inevitable. In many ways WW1 was only suspended for 21
years...

And I may also reiterate--if we spent half the resources on Germany before
'39 that we ended up spending during and after the war, there would have
been no war.

You mean all those resourses that the US had during the depression?
(jusssssst teasing)

No, the resources that America had in 1923 (when Germany was starving).
But even such help might not have been needed if France hadn't insisted in
heavy war reparations - ultimately, everyone (inc. Wilson) failed to
convince the French to abdicate those. The good thing is the lesson was
learnt since :-)

But there's that brick wall again--people who want war cannot be convinced
that peace is a better solution.

Maybe it's something in the water...

You mean Dubya isn't drinking rainwater and pure grain alchohol only
anymore?  Oh no, that must mean he's been infected by flouidation!

Or he's drinking rainwater with a low pH... ;-)

I'd encourage Bush to watch Dr. Strangelove, but I have this sneaking
suspicion he'd get the wong message and start saying that Saddam was trying
to poison our precious bodily fluids.  POE.  OPE.  PEO.  What the heck is
that recall code....?

I'd encourage him to read a book about gardening; with some luck, he'd start
devoting his atention to flowers rather than *mushrooms*... :-P

Pedro