 Off-Topic / Debate / 18934
Re: The beginning of the end of NATO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 10:49:13 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:HA6Joo.M94@lugnet.com...
This is awesome news... not only might this little war we're about to have
finish up the UN as an active force, it might well do in NATO too.

From the text of a speech by Senator John McCain (R., Ariz.) on February • 8,
2003, at the Munich Conference on Security Policy before European • Parliament
and defense ministers: (available here, among other places:
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-mccain021103.asp)

- start -

Iraq is the test that will determine whether the United States and Europe
can rely on the founding charters of NATO and the U.N. Security Council to
protect their most fundamental security interests--or whether we have
entered an age in which security is pursued by other means. Should great
powers determine that multilateral institutions such as NATO and the
Security Council cannot protect their interests when they are imperiled,
countries will increasingly be tempted to go it alone rather than relying • on
international institutions that shrink from their mission of upholding
international security. The United States might succeed in such an
environment, though I hate to contemplate it, but many nations, including
many in Europe, will not.

- end -

He's right. The US is now that much closer to dismissing NATO as something
to care about.

Just as I predicted earlier in this very forum, the leaders of France and
Germany are going to let Turkey get attacked by Iraq just to spite the US
rather than work within NATO to take precautions, even when explicitly • asked
by Turkey for aid. Apparently Turkey's invocation of Article IV of the • NATO
charter isn't up to France's dainty standards?

Let's pull our troops out of Germany and base them where they're more • welcome.

Or, better, bring them home.

++Lar

This is how it worked when I was a little kid and wanted some icecream:

Ask your father for it, ensure him of the goodness of icecream.
Ask your mother for it, ensure here of the goodness of icecream.

If you are lucky, you will receive icecream in this early stage. If the time
is right, and there is a good cause behind it. (You have been a good guy
earlier, and you are not greedy)

If all of the above fails and you do not recieve icecream, try this:

Get the icecream yourself and receive penalty for it later on. Face the
conseqvenses.

Cry about it until someone cares, find other ways of presenting information
about your idea of why icecream is neccesary at the moment. The information
does not need to be accurate. Get support from your neighbour if necessary.

Skip the idea of icecream (Not clearly an option).

There is also the option of locking yourself in your room and rant about
others unwillingness to provide you with icecream until your brain does not
need icecream anymore. Throw in a threat that you are moving to another
family ;-)

/Jocke