 Off-Topic / Debate / 18947
Re: The beginning of the end of NATO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:20:51 GMT

This is awesome news... not only might this little war we're about to have
finish up the UN as an active force, it might well do in NATO too.

From the text of a speech by Senator John McCain (R., Ariz.) on February 8,
2003, at the Munich Conference on Security Policy before European Parliament
and defense ministers: (available here, among other places:
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-mccain021103.asp)

- start -

Iraq is the test that will determine whether the United States and Europe
can rely on the founding charters of NATO and the U.N. Security Council to
protect their most fundamental security interests--or whether we have
entered an age in which security is pursued by other means. Should great
powers determine that multilateral institutions such as NATO and the
Security Council cannot protect their interests when they are imperiled,
countries will increasingly be tempted to go it alone rather than relying on
international institutions that shrink from their mission of upholding
international security. The United States might succeed in such an
environment, though I hate to contemplate it, but many nations, including
many in Europe, will not.

Fomenting a war between Turkay and Iraq and then demanding that everyone aid
in the war that they opposed being started in the first place will not be a
feather in Bush's cap.  All he will do is drive a wedge between us and the
rest of NATO, effectively giving up leverage.  It is a give-and-take
organization: we may be able to ask a lot, but at some point you can go over
the edge on the "take" part.  I think Bush is abusing the NATO pact on this
particular angle.

At the same time, if the UN makes half-hearted sham "inspections" then it
does encourage nations to go it alone (or in the case of Dubya, surrenders
to him the moral fig leaf he is looking for, but be that as it may, it still
is the failing of the UN).

- end -

He's right. The US is now that much closer to dismissing NATO as something
to care about.

The question of NATO being superfluous with the collapse of the Warsaw Pact
nations has been there for a long time.  But NATO has remaind so far because
it is an acknowledgement of the common interests the various nations share.

Just as I predicted earlier in this very forum, the leaders of France and
Germany are going to let Turkey get attacked by Iraq just to spite the US
rather than work within NATO to take precautions, even when explicitly asked
by Turkey for aid. Apparently Turkey's invocation of Article IV of the NATO
charter isn't up to France's dainty standards?

France not been even a half-hearted backer of NATO for a long time now.  I
don't expect much out of France (they are still sulking over our not backing
them in Viet Nam).

Let's pull our troops out of Germany and base them where they're more welcome.

Or, better, bring them home.

That just makes sense anyway, regardless of what decision NATO makes on this.

-->Bruce<--