 Off-Topic / Debate / 18937
Re: The beginning of the end of NATO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:05:36 GMT

<snip>

Just as I predicted earlier in this very forum, the leaders of France and
Germany are going to let Turkey get attacked by Iraq just to spite the US
rather than work within NATO to take precautions, even when explicitly asked
by Turkey for aid. Apparently Turkey's invocation of Article IV of the NATO
charter isn't up to France's dainty standards?

Let's pull our troops out of Germany and base them where they're more welcome.

Or, better, bring them home.

++Lar

Oh please do!

And while you're withdrawing your troops from non-US countries, please
remove your diplomats, your meddling, and your arms sales from any country
that is not yours.

I know that would have a negative impact on my country, as well as others,
but I think the benefits of the dismissal of "US meddling" far outweighs any
negative impact.

And I'm not talking about private industry or tourism--just keeping it on
the gov't level--there was once an idea that if we opened up tourism
everywhere, that there would be 'hostages' from all countries in all other
countries so the threat of going to war would diminish for some of your own
citizens would be in that particular country.

It is interesting to see how the xenophobia of the United States is *very*
selective--it seems to disappear when the 'interests' of those in power are
threatened.

Dave K