 Off-Topic / Debate / 18973
Re: The beginning of the end of NATO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:36:58 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

France not been even a half-hearted backer of NATO for a long time now.  I
don't expect much out of France (they are still sulking over our not backing
them in Viet Nam).

East to say, but harder to justify.

Ya.

None of that explains why Belgium and Germany share France's outlook.
Nor does it explain why the French navy is currently on exercise with
your own in the "Eastern Mediterranean".

I for one would LOVE to see some real investigative reporting into the
theory that France is blocking things because they have lots and lots of
business deals in the hopper that would go forward if sanctions are
eventually lifted but which will be shot if there's a new regime...

I'm sure I've read that France sought and obtain guarantees on existing
contracts from your "president". Russia has done the same. I'm sure Jr
would view it as a price worth paying.

Scott A

(sort of a twist on "blood for oil"... in this case the blood is that of
Saddam's victims)

But since that theory, if true, would gore some sacred cows, we won't see it
in the New York Times, I bet.