 Off-Topic / Debate / 14388
Re: Can't Drive 65 (was 'Re: Tolerance of vice')
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:00:41 GMT

The biggest cause of road
related deaths (in the UK) are drivers driving too fast for the road
conditions, I doubt de-restricting speed limits would improve that either?

What would be cool is signage that responds to the weather.  Based on the
temperature and state of precipitation (or even reflective characteristics of
the road and atmospheric light-transmission characteristics), the signs could
display a different limit.  I wonder how hard such a thing would be to
implement?

In the UK this is already done indirectly. I think speed is altered based on
how close the cars are travelling together on some roads leading to London -
slow moving cars travel closer together. In these type of conditions,
reducing the speed limit actually increases the speed of the traffic - or at
least the flow of traffic.

I remember reading that in the UK there are actually less accidents during
rainy weather - the perception of danger causes drivers to drive more
carefully. :-/

Scott A

Chris