 Off-Topic / Debate / 14220
14219  |  14221
Subject:
Tolerance of vice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:48:34 GMT

I agree. Let's stop encouraging it. Only reply to his posts if they're worth
your time. Agreed?

And only respond to theft if the item's big enough to worry about? Works for
TARGET. Doesn't work for me, though. It encourages the notion that small
thefts are OK.

Ah, but while petty theft may still be wrong, is it worth capital
punishment? Or maybe just cutting off their hands? Is it worth the time?

So you think there's a tolerable level of theft? Some shrinkage is
acceptable? Don't ever work for me unless you are prepared to set that
attitude aside. No level of theft is "acceptable" and no level should be
"tolerated" because it's too difficult to come up with an appropriate
punishment.

If it's OK for theft, is it ok for antisocial behaviour? I ignore minor
antisocial behaviour when displayed by 3 year olds, because I assume they
have parents that will correct them. There is no enforcement mechanism here.

Should we expect one?

No, my point is merely that because there IS one I can tolerate that
behaviour from children, where I would speak out about it from adults. Since
there is no enforcement mechanism here, I speak out.