 Off-Topic / Debate / 14221
Re: Tolerance of vice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:03:38 GMT

I agree. Let's stop encouraging it. Only reply to his posts if they're worth
your time. Agreed?

And only respond to theft if the item's big enough to worry about? Works for
TARGET. Doesn't work for me, though. It encourages the notion that small
thefts are OK.

Ah, but while petty theft may still be wrong, is it worth capital
punishment? Or maybe just cutting off their hands? Is it worth the time?

So you think there's a tolerable level of theft? Some shrinkage is
acceptable? Don't ever work for me unless you are prepared to set that
attitude aside. No level of theft is "acceptable" and no level should be
"tolerated" because it's too difficult to come up with an appropriate
punishment.

But I never said it was acceptable. I said the punishment you betrothed to
it was overzealous. Is going 31mph in a 30mph zone an offense punishable by
death? Ban him? You really think that's a good solution? I don't. I think
the appropriate punishment is giving him no response.

DaveE