 Off-Topic / Debate / 14224
Re: Tolerance of vice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:40:48 GMT

But I never said it was acceptable. I said the punishment you betrothed to
it was overzealous. Is going 31mph in a 30mph zone an offense punishable by
death?

Bad example... since you're referring to noncommon law. Speed limits tend to
be revenue generation devices nowadays more than anything else. But I can
tell you that I would not patronise a private road that used that particular
punishment.

Agreed, it wasn't the best of examples, but hopefully you got the general
idea. A better example would be (I suppose) whether you think someone who
shoplifted a stick of gum should be sentenced to death. Again, I just think
the punishment you're proposing is too harsh.

I don't. I think
the appropriate punishment is giving him no response.

The problem is, I don't see that as a punishment at all. Rather I see it as
a reward.... he gets away with it again.

Heh, if there's one thing I've learned about Scott, it's that getting no
response annoys him to no end. Especially when he thinks he's won. At least,
that's always been my take on it. That's why I assumed he makes all those
"what, no answer?" posts-- every second that you don't respond annoys him
further.

What other punishments short of banning are there?

Two that I can think of. Non-response and humiliation. I think you've tried
the latter of these sufficiently. I don't think it worked overly well. Scott
doesn't particularly care what you (or anyone else) think of him.

But if you're saying this is an argument for banning him, let me ask you: if
the only way of punishing someone for stealing the stick of gum was killing
them, would you still feel it was justified?

DaveE