 Off-Topic / Debate / 10804
Re: Lugnet has a problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:54:46 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
Lugnet has a problem.

No one can have their own opinion if it differs from everyone elses.

If they do, they are attacked.

Well... I dunno if "attacked" is the right word here-- surely if you offer
up an opinion that others don't share, they're likely to respond. It's human
nature, not Lugnet. Of course attacking does happen, but usually, people set
a tone. If I say "I've heard A, but I think B", people will probably just
"debate" with me quietly. If I say "All you people who think A are wrong! B
is right!", then I'm more liable to get attacked. Now, I don't think you
went to *that* extreme, but personally, I think you took it to a higher
extreme than it deserved...

Read the posts that were in reply to my own,
stating my discontent with the re-release of the Castle set the Guarded Inn.
Because I don't rate that set highly and would rather see another in its
place, I am branded a 'complainer about all that lego does.'

Well... honestly, it's not because you disliked their choice-- I think it
just escalated. I mean, out of the 9 replies to your post it looks like
really just 1 person got annoyed with you... and your response to it
escalated the issue further...

Well here is my response to that.

Citizens of Lugnet, this is one AFOL that will no longer be posting to lugnet
unless it deals directly with his own website.  Why?  Because if YOU don't
care about what I have to say, then I have no reason to say anything, do I?

?!?
If we didn't care about what you said, wouldn't we NOT respond? If what you
WANT is for everyone to agree with you, then frankly I'm sorry... Anyway. If
you feel the need to leave, you're certainly welcome to do so, but I for one
have valued your presence, if nothing else. You're welcome back in my eyes
if you decide to go.

Don't
think this is some isolated case, either.  I have stated my opinions all over
lugnet, and I am either looked over, ignored, or beaten down.  Forgive me for
being me.

As are we all, I think. Heck, I've gotten into plenty of arguments on
Lugnet, and I've had multitudenous posts ignored. The solutions are:
- never post.
- only post agreeable/outstanding things.
- don't let it get to you.

And personally, I opt for the last one. The other two make for a rather
boring world. If people want to disagree with me, fine. If people want to
hate me, if YOU want to hate me, they (or you) can go right ahead. It won't
bother me. I'll go on thinking what I think, liking what I like, and posting
about both when I think it's deserved. And of course my hope would be that
you'd do the same, but then again, as per my argument, you're welcome to
take any path you choose :)

DaveE