 MediaWatch / 1639
Re: LEGO sells "violent" toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:59:01 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Jake McKee wrote:

In lugnet.mediawatch, Allan Bedford wrote:

If Bionicles are violent, then I shudder to think what all those Bugs Bunny
cartoons did to my mushy childhood mind all those years ago.

Not to add fuel to the debate fires, but I would like to throw out one point
in this discussion. Nothing like starting my return to posting after vacation
with a debate! :)

As I noted in a reply to Larry, I didn't really intend for this thread to turn
into a debate, but then I also should have been more careful with my comments.
That's what happens when I post early in the morning with my pouty-face,
haven't-had-my-coffee-yet attitude.  :)

Many tend to confuse the terms/concepts of "violence" and "conflict". These
two cannot and should not be used interchangably.

I totally agree.

Conflict is simply showing a struggle between two sides.

True.  Also a serious disagreement or a long lasting armed struggle.  The latter
of which can sometimes be violent.  ;)

Violence is unhealthy, over-the-top, gory interpretation of these conflict
play patterns.

True.  Also behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage or kill.
That was, in fact, the definition I had in mind when I mentioned Looney Tunes.
See below.

The example of the cartoons is a good one. I don't think that Looney Toons
are violent,

I probably should have cited an example.  Remember the one with Bugs, Daffy and
Elmer.  The one with the running gag about wabbit season vs. duck season?  There
are numerous shots where Daffy takes a point blank shotgun blast to the face.
That's violence... at least in my mind.  That was the example I was thinking of
this morning.

I think they are steeped in conflict themes. Ren and Stimpy,
however, are violent (things pop off, blood gushes, etc.)

In many ways I see them as just 90's versions of how outrageous Looney Tunes
would have been back in the 30's, 40's and 50's.  But then I'm a huge fan of
both sets of toons, so I'm rather biased.

So I guess the point I'm making is something can be conflict based without
being violent.

True. Though it can also be said that a conflict can, at times, involve
violence.

Do I think Bionicles are either violent or help kids work through conflict
scenarios?  I don't have an answer... I'm not a kid.  Bionicles aren't that
interesting to me.  But what prompted me to post this mess in the first place
was that this Canadian fellow was suggesting something that seemed so much less
important than so many other things out there in the world today. My message to
him would be that there are better ways of making peace in the world than
kvetching about Bionicles.  :)

Again, I do apologize if this thread has disintegrated into a debate.  Not the
original intention.

Best regards,
Allan B.