 MediaWatch / 1642
Re: LEGO sells "violent" toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:55:22 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:
Many tend to confuse the terms/concepts of "violence" and "conflict". These two
cannot and should not be used interchangably.
I'm not into Bionicle, but I could not help but notice things like
claws, flaming swords, spear-like contraptions, etc[1] on these
"things". Items I would usually connect to "violence" instead of
"conflict". I noticed a lack of conflict-solving techniques like
communication in the Bionicle line, though.

Same with the World City Police stuff. The image is definitely not the
friendly neighbourhood policeman who helps kids crossing the street on
their way to school, but more the crowd-controlling and
suspects-gets-beaten-up-for-having-the-wrong-skin-colour type.

LEGO has become a violent toy since entering the American market, just
like they dropped from creative building toy to action toy (some
assembly required).

Yours, Christian

[1] BL lists a whole page of gruesome Bionicle Weapons in their parts
catalog - about a third of the parts listed in that category.