 MediaWatch / 1645
Re: LEGO sells "violent" toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:26:22 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Christian Treczoks wrote:
Scott Lyttle wrote:
As much as I don't collect Bionicle, I have found through the (free)
comic books and the Lego-produced movies, there is a large focus put
on "thinking" and "teamwork".
Thinking and teamwork to achieve what, precisely? And do you really
believe that most kids using Bionicle thingies actually follow this
example (if it is positive) instead of playing whack & whoosh-style?

This point is completely irrelevant.  There is always a gulf between the way a
toy is marketed and the children play with them.

Take, for example, Hotwheels or Matchbox cars.  I would assert the that way
these toys are marketed to kids is a non-violent theme but thinking back to my
youth I would say that the vast majority of the games I (and my friends) played
with them could be considered violent in theme (e.g. car crashs, police chases,
etc).

The point is kids are much smarter in separting reality from fiction than you
think they are.  Made up stories are just that, made up stories and most kids
realize this.  Unfortunatly in this age of freeflowing information you typically
only hear about extreme cases of the small minority of children who don't have
this ability.  Solution is to help counsel this small number, instead of blaming
(punishing) society at large.

-Orion