 MediaWatch / 1648
Re: LEGO sells "violent" toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:03:44 GMT

I first saw this thread almost as a troll - an article that had legitimate
concerns over violent toys mentioned Lego and all the Lego fans rushed blindly
to the defense of their favorite toy.

But I think two very important discussion points have come of it.  I was
impressed with Jake's thinking on the difference between conflict and violence:

Many tend to confuse the terms/concepts of "violence" and "conflict". These
two cannot and should not be used interchangably.

Conflict is simply showing a struggle between two sides. Conflict has been a
significant part of play for as far back as play patterns have been tracked.
Think cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, etc. Conflict based play is not
only normal and natural, it's an important part of a child's (especially
boys) growth. Think about the important lessons that are learned when
conflict is shown and then resolved in a positive way.

I think this is an important point and I am very glad that people at Lego are
thinking about it.  I also liked Christian's comparison analysis of the Lego and
Playmobil catalogs:

Therefor I actually think about abandoning Lego as a toy for my kid (not
as my building toy, though). Not an easy or light-hearted step for a
die-hard AFOL. Have a look e.g. at the Playmobil range of toys: Yes,
they have a police theme. But it is not an action movie police. They
have a speeding cam set, traffic wardens, policemen who help kids
crossing the streets, policemen who run a traffic school, and even a set
where a policeman catches a burgler. No "Action Trikes", no
"Surveillance Trucks", no "Armoured Car Action". So which toy is more
suitable to re-play real life for a kid?

I would like to see if Jake could actually present Christian's point, along with
the original article criticizing violent toys and see if a productive debate
could happen within the Lego company.

That would be one way that the compnay could strengthen its values, I think.
Question, re-evaluate, perhaps change.

Jake, would you be willing to present this argument, article and Playmobil
catalog in hand?

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com