 MediaWatch / 1631
Re: LEGO sells "violent" toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Allan Bedford wrote:
I ashamed to say that this information came out of Canada:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2004/11/15/715112.html

I'll take the counterpoint:  I think Mr. Martens is spot-on.

I was flipping through a toy catalog the other day (Hearthsong, I think), and I
came upon a page with some Bionicle sets.  I was shocked to realize how
out-of-place the Bionicle sets seemed.  Very evil and ominous seeming.

No disrespect to Mr. Martens of Project Peacemakers, but I think there are so
many worse things in the world to worry about.

That's true.  But Bionicle (and a number of other products in LEGO current
offerings) are huge step away from their classic stance of non-violent play.

There are certainly reasons LEGO has decided to move in this direction, but
denying the change seems kind of pointless.

Steve