 MediaWatch / 1652
Re: LEGO sells "violent" toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:01:34 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Christian Treczoks wrote:
And do you really believe that most kids using Bionicle thingies actually
follow this example (if it is positive) instead of playing whack &
whoosh-style?

Ok, what kid doesn't play with any of his toys that way no matter what they are?
As a kid I had a couple friends whose parents absolutely INSISTED that they'd
have no violent toys in the house. Star Wars toys? Nope. Transformers? Nope. But
we'd still play war games with the toys they had. We just didn't let the parents
see. And granted for increased war-gaming-enjoyment they always wanted to come
over to my house instead, where toys were cooler and violenter.

Therefor I actually think about abandoning Lego as a toy for my kid (not
as my building toy, though).

Are you? Or are you just saying that because you're ridiculously enfuriated at
anything Lego does? I mean, if that were your stance, you could easily avoid the
more violent of Lego's lines and stick with Creator sets and some of the
Designer kits which are much more in line with Lego's traditional roots.

Far better not to boycott an entire company, but instead just the products of
theirs you don't like. After all, if you're trying to send a message to Lego,
buy the things you like, and don't buy the things you don't. Unless you really
DO hate everything Lego does.

And conversely, if you're really buying for your kids' best interests, it's
really easy to just buy the things that fit with your idea of good toys. Unless
you're saying that there aren't any Lego toys that are non-violent and still
age-appropriate.

Not an easy or light-hearted step for a die-hard AFOL.

Are you really a die-hard AFOL? I mean, I seem to notice your posts as of late,
and each one I remember sounding like a troll post. To read them, I picture you
mashing your fingers against the keyboard enraged, body quaking with appoplectic
fury at either Lego or all things American. You've got valid points and all, but
you just sound so angry at everything, just itching for a chance to vent. On the
other hand, I guess that IS the mark of a true fan (emphasis on "fan-atic").

Have a look e.g. at the Playmobil range of toys

I've long been curious but haven't been able to find out very much. How's
Playmobil doing financially? They seem to have stuck with a level that's more
consistant with what we usually think of as the "golden age" of Lego. Has it
been working for them? What's their age range? Does the age range of Playmobil
preclude correspondingly-themed Lego sets with the level of intricacy we like to
see in sets? (IE if Lego catered to that age range, would the set complexity be
on the level of Jack Stone?)

The one thing that seems to closely match the Playmobil 'violence level' and not
be *horribly* juniorized is the newer train stuff. Again, one of those things
where I wish I could see how its sales compare to, say, Knight's Kingdom or
Alpha Team, or the World City police stuff. I guess in the meanwhile we'll just
have to trust that Lego is responding correctly to the trends, and that these
newfangled 'conflict' themes actually do better than 'non-conflict' themes.

DaveE