 MediaWatch / 1632
Re: LEGO sells "violent" toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:24:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Allan Bedford wrote:

   If Bionicles are violent, then I shudder to think what all those Bugs Bunny cartoons did to my mushy childhood mind all those years ago.

Me too. My parents didn’t let me watch them, believe it or not. I did anyway though.

   Unless, of course, Bionicles are based on real people. Did I miss some memo, or am I looney to think that Bionicles are just cartoon-like characters?

No, they’re certainly cartoonlike.

   I also wonder if Bionicles made his list last year, and the year before... or if this is the first time he’s decided that they are violent.

Or just the first time they were big enough for these guys to notice them.

I share your feelings about these guys but on the other hand, I do agree. LEGO isn’t the biggest offender but they ARE trending toward more violence, and have been for years.

Not to add fuel to the debate fires, but I would like to throw out one point in this discussion. Nothing like starting my return to posting after vacation with a debate! :)

Many tend to confuse the terms/concepts of “violence” and “conflict”. These two cannot and should not be used interchangably.

Conflict is simply showing a struggle between two sides. Conflict has been a significant part of play for as far back as play patterns have been tracked. Think cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, etc. Conflict based play is not only normal and natural, it’s an important part of a child’s (especially boys) growth. Think about the important lessons that are learned when conflict is shown and then resolved in a positive way.

Violence is unhealthy, over-the-top, gory interpretation of these conflict play patterns. I’ve always thought of the difference between conflict and violence being the difference between an action figure with Kung-Fu grip versus a figure with a voice module that says he’s going to kill the other figure while the other figure’s head pops off with blood gushing.

Many of the toys I can remember playing with as a child (at least the favorites that stick out) were conflict based - He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers, etc. - but not particularly violent.

The example of the cartoons is a good one. I don’t think that Looney Toons are violent, I think they are steeped in conflict themes. Ren and Stimpy, however, are violent (things pop off, blood gushes, etc.)

Many people, myself included, believe that sports are an important part of a child’s growth. Why? Because sports are on of the best examples of conflict themes out there. Think about what a sports game actually is: A mini-conflict between two groups both trying to get something. There are many great lessons to be learned from sports, many of them revolving around the “conflict themes”.

So I guess the point I’m making is something can be conflict based without being violent.

FWIW...

Jake

---
Jake McKee