 MediaWatch / 1644
Re: LEGO sells "violent" toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:12:47 GMT

Scott Lyttle wrote:
Cats have claws.  Does that make a cat violent?  Well, it may, but
only when provoked... Question--who does the provoking?
Well cats have claws. But they are there for hunting (and destroying
furniture), and they are comparably small. Compare the Bionicle claws to
the overall size of the "figures". And cats do not use spears or flaming
swords...

As much as I don't collect Bionicle, I have found through the (free)
comic books and the Lego-produced movies, there is a large focus put
on "thinking" and "teamwork".
Thinking and teamwork to achieve what, precisely? And do you really
believe that most kids using Bionicle thingies actually follow this
example (if it is positive) instead of playing whack & whoosh-style?

As for World City...you'll see police--I mean, who's going to protect
the city?  Bionicle figures?   For the rest of World City, as you've
already seen from other posts, there's a lot more coming--and it's
not police-based....
Well, World City is: 1. Police 2. Firefighters 3. Train Station 4.
Rescue Something, and, in the iteration for next year so far 1. Police
and 2. Fire Fighters. Any interation for 2006 will definitely include
more Police and Firefighting themes. When was the last time you saw a
shop, restaurant, or any normal citizen at all in World City (Except
maybe for those desperate few in the train station, propably waiting for
the next train out of town...)? The "Building Bonanza" set could
actually be used to build a private house to live in, but it is lacking
figures. Even the hospital theme has been abaondoned in favour of this
"Rescue" theme - propably because it was not action-loaded and violent
enough.

Lego play themes have become more violent in the last few years,
propably primarily to cater for the violence-based American market. But
a toy should be useable to re-enact scenes from real life to help a kid
to cope with society. Lego World City is lacking this potential, as it
is only useful to re-enact action movies. And whatever this world needs,
it is definitely not kids who grow up with the idea that violence is an
easy way to solve problems.

Therefor I actually think about abandoning Lego as a toy for my kid (not
as my building toy, though). Not an easy or light-hearted step for a
die-hard AFOL. Have a look e.g. at the Playmobil range of toys: Yes,
they have a police theme. But it is not an action movie police. They
have a speeding cam set, traffic wardens, policemen who help kids
crossing the streets, policemen who run a traffic school, and even a set
where a policeman catches a burgler. No "Action Trikes", no
"Surveillance Trucks", no "Armoured Car Action". So which toy is more
suitable to re-play real life for a kid?

yours, Christian