 MediaWatch / 1634
Re: LEGO sells "violent" toys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:00:08 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Allan Bedford wrote:
I ashamed to say that this information came out of Canada:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2004/11/15/715112.html

No disrespect to Mr. Martens of Project Peacemakers, but I think there are so
many worse things in the world to worry about.

Let's hope one of those things is Canada's own MegaBloks!

Personally, I'd like to see Lego produce tanks and battleships and fighter jets.
People who are vehement enough to NOT buy violent toys are going to find
violence everywhere.

Knight's Kingdom has swords and spears and axes. The characters (probably) after
each other as much as in Bionicle. And they're distinctly more human. Alpha Team
already had the run-in with being branded too violent for its depiction of
"planes bombing a city". Star Wars has lightsabers, laser guns, blasters, and
people are even decapitated in the movies! The original Star Wars was rated 'R'
or 'X' in some places in Europe for being too violent. Wild West contains
*modern* guns and modern-looking rifles. And even a few swords, bows, and
arrows. Potentially seen as violent. And what parent didn't honestly think that
Classic Space ships weren't equipped with laser guns? And what child didn't
imagine it?

Not producing non-violent toys is admirable morally, as is not purchasing them
for your kids, but I kind of wonder whether it's the right thing for the company
to do. MegaBloks has no qualms about it, and they're fast encroaching on Lego's
territory. If it ever comes time, would Lego rather go out of business or
produce war toys?

For now, I'd guess that the majority of parents/kids/adults who AREN'T buying
MegaBloks because they're too violent is minimal. And those that don't probably
aren't rushing out to stores to buy Lego's new lines either. The larger market
(I think) DOES buy war-toys. And they WON'T buy Lego because Lego doesn't make
what they want. Jimmy wants a toy tank? MegaBlok time!

And (sadly) because boys are the primary target audience of most Lego products,
and boys generally want violent toys, it gives MegaBloks (or Best-Lock or what
have you) an extra edge. An edge not formed because they've got a superior
product, but because Lego isn't producing what the market wants.

'Course, it's possible that the feeling in Europe is quite different. I mean, MB
isn't a large player over there, and it's possible that the attitude would
change towards Lego negatively if Lego retreated from its family values-- I
guess I'd just hope not.

If only Lego could sublicense some 3rd party (like Samsonite in the 60's) who
could take all the blame (and wouldn't mind) to cover the spread.

DaveE