 MediaWatch / 1640
Re: LEGO's Rescue... Interesting article in the Sunday Times (UK)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 02:17:11 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Darren Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Allan Bedford wrote:

SNIP

   a very sad state of affairs, to say the least. just walk down the isles of wal-mart, and notice what kind of toys get the most shelf space. last year, around chistmas, they had at least four whole isles, both sides, FULL of junk “made in china” plastic mold toys, not including more in the center bins. everything from mini cars, to large playsets. these items are made to last less than a year, from what I can tell. people are sucked into buying crap for a couple of bucks less than the quality competition. I may be getting off subject a little, but I’d like to spread the word. I think wal-mart is causing a lot of these problems with many large companies. they would rather sell things that will need to replaced sooner than later. as of last year, after researching the policies of wal-mart, I go out of my way to avoid wal-mart. I do not shop there unless the item I need isn’t available anywhere else. Kmart might not be much better, but they don’t own the trucking, warehousing, and who knows what else that wal-mart does. I may get some agressive response to this, as wal-mart is the store that most likely 90% of americans shop at, but I challenge anyone to argue. since I moved to upstate NY in 1999, Ames has shut its doors, and almost half of the K-B toys are gone, or closing. we have lost several Kmarts as well. I also hear that toys-r-us is in trouble. soon, I will have no choice as to where I can buy diapers, toys, food, or whatever. look into it yourselves, feedback is welcome. thanks, Darren

I absolutely agree. Up until a year ago I worked @ W*M for 2 yrs. I would never reccommend it to anyone. If the star were inverted, it would describe the true nature of ‘the beast’ better. The workers are great, but company policy is NOT great to them. Unfortunately, living in small town NH, the closest places to get most shopping items are W*M & K-Mart the other area stores just don’t (maybe can’t from W*M’s predatory business practices) have the selection. They also tend to have higher prices to maintain their smaller ‘less-buying-power’ business. The slightly higher prices don’t bother me now, but when I was working @ W*M, & for many others in this lower economy area, cheap is everything. Many times for me, It’s being able to get several things I am looking for @ the SAME PLACE (since I’m tired from working) that leads me to W*M. Granted, it’s my own ‘lazy’ choice, but there’s something to be said for not driving to too many places, when towns are relatively spread out (downtowns are better,but still almost dead), the roads aren’t to good, & ga$ ain’t too ¢heap. I’m trying to wean myself from W*M because of their business & China-exploitative practices, but it can be tough.

Jeff