 MediaWatch / 1628
Re: LEGO's Rescue... Interesting article in the Sunday Times (UK)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 04:31:59 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Allan Bedford wrote:
The Nov 14 Sunday Times features an interesting and fairly indepth article about
the current situation within the LEGO company:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1357384_1,00.html

The article seems to go to great lengths to point out how bad things are at the
moment.  However, it also offers what I think are positive views with regard to
Mr. Knudstorp and his plans for moving forward.

There are mentions of potential outsourcing (seeming to suggest it won't happen
any time soon) and some interesting insight into how the company is run and how
some of its competition (1) has made things more difficult.

Although I disagree with a few of the things the author has said, such as
describing how new sets use too many specialized pieces (2), I think the article
is very good overall. And while things do seem bad for the company it left me
with hope for better days to come.

Best regads,
Allan B.

(1) He mentions Geo Mag a couple of times, as though it is somehow competition
for LEGO products. Would other people agree with that?  I can see it being a
*somewhat* interesting product, but it's just not in any way like LEGO that I
can see.  You make a bunch of geometric patterns. Then I guess you make more
geometric patterns.

(2) Quote from the article regarding specialized parts: "if you buy a Lego model
of the X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars, the bits are not much use for creating
anything other than a Star Wars X-Wing Fighter."  I'm not sure which version of
the X-Wing he's talking about but I think all of them, even the mini version,
offer an excellent selection of parts, as do most of the Star Wars sets.

a very sad state of affairs, to say the least. just walk down the isles of
wal-mart, and notice what kind of toys get the most shelf space. last year,
around chistmas, they had at least four whole isles, both sides, FULL of junk
"made in china" plastic mold toys, not including more in the center bins.
everything from mini cars, to large playsets. these items are made to last less
than a year, from what I can tell. people are sucked into buying crap for a
couple of bucks less than the quality competition. I may be getting off subject
a little, but I'd like to spread the word. I think wal-mart is causing a lot of
these problems with many large companies. they would rather sell things that
will need to replaced sooner than later. as of last year, after researching the
policies of wal-mart, I go out of my way to avoid wal-mart. I do not shop there
unless the item I need isn't available anywhere else. Kmart might not be much
better, but they don't own the trucking, warehousing, and who knows what else
that wal-mart does.
  I may get some agressive response to this, as wal-mart is the store that most
likely 90% of americans shop at, but I challenge anyone to argue. since I moved
to upstate NY in 1999, Ames has shut its doors, and almost half of the K-B toys
are gone, or closing. we have lost several Kmarts as well. I also hear that
toys-r-us is in trouble. soon, I will have no choice as to where I can buy
diapers, toys, food, or whatever. look into it yourselves, feedback is welcome.
thanks, Darren