 MediaWatch / 1627
1626  |  1628
Subject:
LEGO's Rescue... Interesting article in the Sunday Times (UK)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:22:43 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The Nov 14 Sunday Times features an interesting and fairly indepth article about
the current situation within the LEGO company:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1357384_1,00.html

The article seems to go to great lengths to point out how bad things are at the
moment.  However, it also offers what I think are positive views with regard to
Mr. Knudstorp and his plans for moving forward.

There are mentions of potential outsourcing (seeming to suggest it won't happen
any time soon) and some interesting insight into how the company is run and how
some of its competition (1) has made things more difficult.

Although I disagree with a few of the things the author has said, such as
describing how new sets use too many specialized pieces (2), I think the article
is very good overall. And while things do seem bad for the company it left me
with hope for better days to come.

Best regads,
Allan B.

(1) He mentions Geo Mag a couple of times, as though it is somehow competition
for LEGO products. Would other people agree with that?  I can see it being a
*somewhat* interesting product, but it's just not in any way like LEGO that I
can see.  You make a bunch of geometric patterns. Then I guess you make more
geometric patterns.

(2) Quote from the article regarding specialized parts: "if you buy a Lego model
of the X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars, the bits are not much use for creating
anything other than a Star Wars X-Wing Fighter."  I'm not sure which version of
the X-Wing he's talking about but I think all of them, even the mini version,
offer an excellent selection of parts, as do most of the Star Wars sets.