 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11653
Re: Thoughts on Brickbay fees (Re: Brickbay problems........again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 12:24:42 GMT

Ray Sanders wrote:

Having said this, implementing such a fee (such as the one described
above)
would place an unequitable burden on the small sellers. Heres something
that I believe would be a might more fair:

1) Charge the seller 1-cent for each lot when added to BrickBay (batch
upload
or manual)

That MIGHT work, although some people might stop listing small batches of
parts because it makes the profit margin even smaller.

2) On the last day of the month, for any lot which has been listed for
more
than 3 weeks...
2a) Charge the seller 1-cent for each lot present on the last day of the
month
(for lots with quantities less than 2000) *or*
2b) Charge the seller 1-cent for each lot present on the last day of the
month
(per whole multiple of 1000 units, when the quantity is at least 2,000
units)

2a seems VERY unfair to certain sellers. If a seller had some very rare
parts, priced "fair" he might still not sell them within a month. Why fine
him for putting up rare parts, which might not be sold much? This would
lead people to only post certain parts (which sell very fast) on Brickbay
and perhaps mention in their shops that they have more parts on sale
elsewhere, so Dan might actually get less, since part of the deal is made
without Brickbay.

I do know at least that the minute this system goes in affect I will close
my store... this idea is like slapping somebody in the face for trying to
sell non-regular stuff.

Besides : you'd need to have a special verification system, or otherwise I
could just delete all parts and re-upload them again every month, bypassing
your fee structure.

This would have several effects...  it would place the burden more
equitably on
the sellers with 1) large number of lots, 2) large quantities on
individual lots, 3) sellers who have listings, but little or no sales. I
do not think this type of charge should be assessed on the price that a
lot is offered at (something that I consider very eBay-esque). This would
also have the effect of encouraging a few sellers, who have somewhat
sloppy habits, to clean up their lots/inventory. I have observed more than
a few instances of one seller offering the exact same part in 5-10 lots
(small quantities) with varying prices. It would also have the effect of
getting sellers to flush out very small quantites (1s and 2s) of parts
which have a low resale price point. Small quantities of rare parts should
be unaffected.

Why do we NEED to flush out small quantities? Some people only need one or
two of a certain type of part. I for one only have a few parts in my store,
all small quantities. I have no problem with it, and I don't think anybody
else does. If you want more, don't buy from me but look for a seller which
has large numbers of what you need.

  Cent 2 falls in the hands of the buyers. Though I agree a membership
  fee
for all Brickbay users may initially be too strong a deterent for growing
membership I think it is reasonable to charge a one time or even a yearly
fee for everyone who has completed 5 transactions (First 5 transactions
therefore being 'free' or on a 'trial basis' after which purchase of
membership would be expected.) I believe that a substantial number of
Brickbay members only buy once twice or three times and then their
attention is diverted elsewhere and they are seldom heard from again and
so the 5 transaction policy would not hinder this sort of customer/market.
I also believe that anyone who has completed 5 transactions on Brickbay A)
Values the service enough to pay a small fee and B) Is likely to want to
make more purchases or even become sellers and therefore will pay the fee.
Of course thought will have to be given to patrol those individuals who
simply create new member names to escape the fee but I think those people
will be few and far between as Lego communities tend to be highly
respectful and honest people.

I like this idea.... I wouldn't mind paying say $10-$20 a year to Dan as a
membership fee. Don't know about the legal issues here, but this looks like
the best solution.

But again, I doubt buyers will like it. So for now perhaps only a fee for
store owners?
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | Brick Piles BrickBay shop