 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11649
Re: Thoughts on Brickbay fees (Re: Brickbay problems........again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 20:48:02 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Ray Sanders writes:
This thread is a month old, but I've had a few thoughts on the subject and
believe its a good time to toss them up for discussion.

<snip some thought provoking ideas... which I think are good starting points
for discussion>

Charging the buyers would be a difficult proposition to enforce.
eBay does not charge the buyers, I do not believe that Brickbay
should either.

I agree with your thinking here.

If brickbay is an open market, it should welcome
all prospective buyers. The only issue I have in this arena, is that a
= new buyer needs to have some kind of 'proof of intent'
that is more than merely having a functioning email address. I'm not sure how
to do this, but something that helps to seperate the real buyers from the ones
out on a joy-ride.

I agree, this is a very serious problem.

Here is a thought starter, not sure it's necessarily a good idea but may
kick off some thinking.

How about if a buyer had to deposit some earnest money in order to make his
first few purchases? That is, suppose that he had to deposit 20 bucks. No
buying anything until the deposit happened and Dan had the cash. For
purchases that he made before the first ones were completed, some portion of
that 20 was given to each buyer (maybe it paid the buyers portion of the
listing fee so there was no actual transaction that Dan had to worry about
other than an automatic bookkeeping entry) till it was gone.

Now I can think of a whole bunch of reasons why this won't work. If you (the
general you, not just Ray) post them you'll be missing the point. Try to
come up with some other ideas for this if you would... unless you really
think that bogus buyers are not a problem.

++Lar