 Marketplace / Auctions / 1161
Re: The Gary Louie Memorial Auction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 01:50:58 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

Can people make direct donations of opened sets.  For instance, I just got 2
950 piece buckets from S@H on sale.  While they may bring more than I paid at
auction, the quantity would probably be appreciated.  Or is the idea to only
donate cash to a Ronlad McDonald House?

The idea is to donate the most bricks(1) we can arrive at, rather than
cash per se, and do it at the House closest to where Gary lived. So your
donation (given that you live in NY) is welcome but poses some
logistical problems... it masses a lot compared to the value. Somehow
we'd have to get it to southern CA.

We figured the best way to get a lot of bricks to the "target" is to
have them purchased locally by a volunteer (which we haven't identified
yet, please note me if you'd be willing to take that on) and hand
delivered.

Now, this may be a half cocked plan, because when I reviewed

http://www.rmhc.com/help/donations/indiv/index.html

just now, it seemed that they are not set up to accept "in kind"
donations.

1 - bricks because if we give cash, even earmarked, it may not be
delivering the kind of "joy of the brick" we can deliver. Some random
staffer sent to the store with our cash will not get as much loot for it
as a dedicated RTLer, wise to the ways of the discount and the wiles of
the clearance set, can.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.