 Marketplace / Auctions / 1220
Re: The Gary Louie Memorial Auction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 00:34:49 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
I don't see why you can't bid for yourself?  Is it a technical problem?

You know, I didn't try. But if I were coding an auction site, I sure
would not allow self bids.

Why not?  Preventing self-bidding only gives a false sense of security to
participants.  Someone dishonest enough to bid on their own items (in a
dishonest way) could still effectively bid via a friend or alter-ego.  It
doesn't stop anything.

--Todd